The monument is located on the 500 block of Greene Street in front of the Augusta Municipal Center, which was in 1848 the location of the City Hall. It is a granite obelisk, twelve feet square at the base and tapering to a height of fifty feet. It was originally surrounded by a substantial iron railing. A marble slab is inserted in its southern face, on which are engraved in alto-relievo the coat of arms of Georgia and the names, Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, and George Walton. It was designed by Robert French and dedicated in 1848.