Old-Fashioned Crumb Cake
Yield: 16-20 squares
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sour milk (to make, add 1 teaspoon white vinegar to 1 cup milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Blend flour, butter and cinnamon until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Reserve 1 cup flour mixture for top.
- Add sugar, nutmeg, salt, egg, sour milk and baking soda. Blend slowly.
- Pour into greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on top.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes, or until straw inserted in center comes out clean.
A light, spicy snack cake.